Programme Field Excursion
- 9.00 Meeting in front of MARUM
- 10:30 Guided hiking tour to former oil production area
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Guided through the Museum installations
- 15:00 Departure to arrive back to MARUM around 17:00
The „Museum“ is mainly outdoors, on the site of a former oil field. It offers a unique hands-on perspective and information on:
- Drilling and production technology
- The Wietzer Oil Field is one of the oldest in the world. As all early oil field, it was discovered because of natural seepage.
- Industrial production started in 1858/59 on the basis of one of the first productive oil wells ever drilled (Hunäus-Bohrung).
- The production in the Wietze oil field (but not in other oil field in northern Germany) ended in 1963.
- The installations were donated by DEA/Texaco to the local authorities.
Drilling and production technology
- The North German Basin and the Alpine foreland basins
- At present: 2,6 million tonnes of oil/year
- < 3% of domestic demand