DFG Heisenberg-Group: Archaeal life in the Ocean "Metabolic activity and biogeochemical relevance of marine archaea"
Guiding scientific questions of our research:
- What are the physiological capacities of marine/planktonic archaea?
- Which metabolic pathways do marine archaea use to thrive in oligotrophic ocean waters?
- How active are marine archaea in their environment?
- What are the ecological and biogeochemical roles of the abundant but yet not characterized archaea in the ocean?
- Activity of pelagic archaea and their contribution to the carbon cycle in the ocean
- Biosynthesis and function of the thaumarchaeal cytoplasmic membrane and the cell-surrounding protein layer
- Biochemical characterization of metabolic processes in ammonia-oxidizing archaea
- Cultivation and characterization of yet uncultured marine archaea
- Calibration of biogeochemical proxies and isotopic investigations on the archaeal origin of climate relevant greenhouse gases