The main objective of research cruise POS498 is the recovery of two observatories with the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) MARUM-SQUID deployed in the Anaximander Mountains, eastern Mediterranean Sea. The observatories were deployed at Athina Mud Volcano during RV MARIA S. MERIAN expedition 35T in February 2014 within the frame of the Cross-Cutting Projects 4 mud volcanic episodicity. The observatories combine temperature and pore-pressure measurements with an in situ porewater sampler to reveal temporal variations in the activity of fluid and mud eruptions. The prime task during the cruise is to recover the data logger and the porewater sampler in order to retrieve the scientific data and samples. Furthermore, it will be attempted to retrieve the installations itself. A further objective of the cruise is, to obtain seafloor samples by ROV, gravity corer and multicorer as well as to conduct mapping by ROV and multibeam echosounder to complete scientific work conducted during the previous cruises (M70/3, POS462).
- Lykousis, V., Alexandri, S., Woodside, J., de Lange, G., Dählmann, A., Perissoratis, C., Heeschen, K., loakim, C., Sakellariou, D., Nomikuo, P., Rousakis, G., Casas, D., Ballas, D., and Ercilla, G.: Mud volcanoes and gas hydrates in the Anaximander mountains (Eastern Mediterranean Sea), Marine and Petroleum Geology, 26, 854-872, 2009.
- Pape, T., Kasten, S., Zabel, M., Bahr, A., Abegg, F., Hohnberg, H.-J., and Bohrmann, G.: Gas hydrates in shallow deposits of the Amsterdam mud volcano, Anaximander Mountains, Northeastern Mediterranean Sea, Geo-Marine Letters, 30, 187-206, 2010.
- Perissoratis, C., Ioakim, C., Alexandri, S., Woodside, J., Nomikou, P., Dählmann, A., Casas, D., Heeschen, K. U., Amman, H., Rousakis, G., and Lykousis, V.: Thessaloniki Mud Volcano, the shallowest gas hydrate-bearing mud volcano in the Anaximander Mountains, Eastern Mediterranean, Journal of Geological Research, doi: 10.1155/2011/247983, 2011. ID 247981, 2011.
- Bohrmann, G and cruise participants (2014) Report and Preliminary Results of R/V POSEIDON Cruise POS462, Izmir - Izmir, 28 October - 21 November, 2013. Gas Hydrate Dynamics of Mud Volcanoes in the Submarine Anaximander Mountains (Eastern Mediterranean). Berichte aus dem MARUM und dem Fachbereich Geowissenschaften der Universität Bremen, urn:nbn:de:gbv:46-00103551-12.
- Bohrmann, G and cruise participants (2008) Report and preliminary results of R/V Meteor Cruise M74/3, Fujairah - Male, 30 October - 28 November, 2007. Cold Seeps of the Makran subduction zone (Continental margin of Pakistan). Berichte aus dem Fachbereich Geowissenschaften der Universität Bremen, 266. Department of Geosciences, Bremen University, urn:nbn:de:gbv:46-ep000106366.