MarTech's mission is to construct a network of expertise in marine technology, and to develop technologies required for the sustainable and ecologically responsible exploitation of maritime resources and for new challenges in marine research within the next decade. This occurs within the scope of technology projects that build upon each other but are established in multiple core areas:
1. System development (vehicles, manipulators)
- Management of a broad spectrum of items
- Design of sensors and electronics for computer manipulation in use with AUVs and ROVs, and multiple arm systems.
2. Autonomous navigation and mapping
- increase autonomous aspects for maintenance and inspection
- orientation, map generation and systematic navigation of submersible vehicles without a global reference, especially in ice-covered areas of the Arctic and Antarctic
- Development of monitoring and control infrastructures with efficient systems for the presentation of 3-D environments with high temporal and spatial resolution
The system characteristics, in particular, required to meet the scientific and industrial demands for underwater equipment represent a chance for Germany, with its great potential in automation technology and robotics, to position itself at the forefront of international science and to further develop the necessary system expertise for the production of marine resources.
For the successful exploitation of marine resources, a number of challenges have to be overcome. But German industry and research have the necessary technological and scientific spectra completely covered. With support from the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi) and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), and in close cooperation with technology companies and other institutions, the core of the MarTech strategy is to develop instruments and systems for the exploration industry and to make new tools available for science.
MarTech will provide a framework to substantially promote all marine technology and bring it to a level of quality that has never before been achieved. The focus will be on development of systems with expanded and intelligent capabilities with respect to autonomy, mobility, manipulation and interaction.
In MarTech, R&D projects are developed and carried out, employing functional models to document and illustrate national competence. Available technologies can thus be optimized and better adapted to the current market, and future technologies can be developed in order to remain or become competitive. This plan further serves to identify niches, in order to provide orientation for companies in the global environment, and to significantly simplify access to testing and research institutions.