German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence – DFKI Bremen
Robotics Innovation Center
Director: Prof. Dr. Frank Kirchner
Intelligent Solutions for the Knowledge Society
The German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, with sites in Kaiserslautern, Saarbrücken, Bremen and Berlin, is the leading German research institute in the field of innovative software technology. In the international scientific community, DFKI ranks among the most recognized "Centers of Excellence".
DFKI-Bremen – Robotics Innovation Center
Essentially, the Robotics Innovation Center (RIC) is based on research and development activities of the Robotics Group at the University of Bremen concentrating predominantly on five areas of Artificial Intelligence: Underwater Robotics, Space Robotics, Cognitive Robotics, Logistics & Production Robotics, Search and Rescue Robotics, Security Robotics.
Here, main focus lies on research, technological development, and application-oriented use of intelligent, cognitively adequate robot systems as well as on entire complex, integrated systems. Our research is realized in the framework of direct industrial orders, publicly funded joint projects, or basic research projects. The rapid transfer of results of basic research into real-world applications is the focus of our work.
This area deals with the development and realization of Artificial Intelligence methods in underwater systems. Main points of research are:
- Development of systems for user support in remote-controlled underwater vehicles employing virtual immersion methods
- Design of methods for autonomous manipulation and mission planning of robot arms in underwater applications, particularly with state-of-the-art sensor technology, such as "Visual Servoing"
- Image evaluation and object recognition with modular and intelligent underwater cameras
- Design of control methods for next-generation autonomous underwater vehicles
- Development of biologically inspired and energy-efficient methods of transport for underwater vehicles, such as oscillating systems
The AUV DAGON, developed at the DFKI RIC to do research in the area of autonomous computer vision
The AUV AVALON during a mission in the Mediterranean
CManipulator is an ORION 7P Manipulator with extended semi-autonomous behaviors